April Fools day seems like the perfect beginning for a blog about real estate. God knows how many of us fret over getting our license only to discover that it in no way prepares you for the pummeling you receive your first few years in business.
In 1991 I graduated from Art School with a degree in Ceramics. If you had asked me then what I’d be doing 20 years later…the last thing, the absolute last thing I would have guessed would have been selling Real Estate. I have been a realtor for 8 years now and I truly understand the statement, “You don’t try out real estate, real estate tries you out”.
Kids dream about becoming firefighters, astronauts, nurses, veterinarians…I have never met anyone who laid awake at night dreaming about growing up to be a realtor, “I can’t wait until I’m old enough to hold my very own open house. I’ll wake up and bake cookies, and sit there…by myself…for hours and hours, with no cell phone reception…at the end of a long dirt road…in a shack…in Gorst”.
We are our client’s confidants, financial advisors, marriage counselors, babysitters, grounding rods, cheerleaders, not to mention real estate experts...Oh and also marriage counselors. We help people navigate the biggest financial transaction of their lives. It can be a bumpy ride.
This blog is for agents who need some comic relief. It is also for people who are looking for information on how to screen agents, get a house ready to sell and how to pick a home and/or agent to represent you as a buyer. This blog is also for those rare individuals who have to work with other humans in any capacity. People are crazy, and dealing with the public can grind you down to a nub. I would like this to be a bright spot.
No comments:
Post a Comment